I stand condemned by a friend who accuses me of white privilege and ignorance, therefore of racism. It is ignorance, not intent, that harms. We must learn from each other.
As one of God’s children, the Father’s Day scriptures form my prayer: Psalm 69, Romans 8:26, Matthew 10:16.
- Drowning in the world’s hatred.
- Hurt by condemnation.
- Bewildered in my ignorance.
- Desiring only to love.
- Innocent as doves.
- Lacking wisdom of serpents.
- Must I now restore what I did not steal?
- God, you know my folly, my faults;
- I do not know how to pray.
- Holy Spirit guide me.
Jesus was a Person of Color. How can we Christians hate? It is ignorance, not intent, that wounds us all. Help all Your children, Lord, to listen to you and each other, beyond pain, indignation and defensiveness.